The Sade Blouse is the second pattern in the Breaking the Pattern book by Named.
The pattern comes in 2 versions, on the one hand the blouse with long sleeves, with ribbon in the hem and the sleeve cuffs, and on the other hand a tunic version with a closed back and 3/4 sleeves.
As you can see, both Sylvia and Michelle left out the ribbon in the hem, which in my opinion gives the blouse a very summery vibe. I’m not a big fan of how a bunched up hem looks on me anyway, so the first thing that I decided for my version, was to skip the ribbon in the hem.
I also added 8 cm of length to the blouse because the cropped length isn’t really a great look for me either…
The third change I made to the pattern, is that I omitted the ribbon in the sleeves as well. I work from home (even before March 2020) and so I don’t really have seperate office clothes, and having to deal with the ribbons when cooking or eating, just seemed like a lot of hassle that I wanted to avoid.
Now, I also don’t like the feel of elastic in the cuffs of sleeves, so instead I cut a length of ribbon to sit comfortably around my wrist, in my case 22cm, and I inserted that in the channel for the ribbon, stitched it down at the ends and then handstitched the cuff of the sleeves closed. I didn’t particularly liked the look of that, so I added a tiny button.
Pattern tracing and fabric
In the Named Breaking the Pattern book I am a size 4, so that is the size I made.
I was a bit confused at first about which line exactly is which size, so I really had to kind of look at the side seams to determine which line to trace. Unless I am severely mistaken, the sizes are not marked anywhere on the pattern sheets, which in my opinion is very inconvenient. (Up until now, I have made 4 patterns from this book, and I still haven’t found which line represents which size… )
Finally, I traced and marked on my fabric the centre back line and I added the point at the sleeves where the 2 pieces overlap, because I wanted to stitch these down a bit so the back doesn’t go flying open and the split in the sleeves is not that extreme as in the original pattern.
My fabric is a delicious linen double gauze fabric that I bought during my visit to my family last September in De Stoffenkamer in Ghent. I got the fabric in this tomato-y colour and in yellow/mustard. The last time I checked, this fabric is still available, in quite a few different colours.
Construction for this blouse is pretty straightforward. The only thing is that there are SO MANY ROLLED HEMS! So that takes a while. But all in all, this is not the most complicated make.
I finished the neckline with some gorgeous Rifle Paper Co viscose that I had left over and of which I made a few metres of bias-binding. The brag-tag went in the rolled hem of the back.
Like I said before, I stitched the opening of the back closed at about the halfway point, for this I used a zigzag with the feed dogs down, like you would use when attaching a button by machine.
This top turned out really so much better than I first thought it would. The red was a bit of a gamble for me, as I don’t usually wear this colour, but in the end, I really love how it looks.
This top will definitely be worn quite often!
Other Sade Blouses can be found on Instagram with #sadeblouse.
|Pattern||Breaking the Pattern – Sade Blouse|
|Fabric||Linen Double Gauze, from destoffenkamer.be|
|Notions||2 tiny buttons, from my stash|
Rifle Paper Co bias tape, from my stash
45cm of yellow cotton twill tape, from my stash
Next up in the book are the Rae Pants, a statement piece to say the least!
My other makes from the Breaking The Pattern book can be found here.